Mandate of UNES
UNES’ Articles and Memorandum of Association prescribe it as a distinct legal person, separate and independent from the University. UNES Articles and Memorandum of Association provide the following objectives for the company, among others:
- To harness the resources of the University of Nairobi with a view to enhancing the University’s teaching and research capabilities.
- To undertake consultancy work, research, production and other Income Generating Activities and to promote and facilitate such activities undertaken by the Faculties, Department, or other organs of the University of Nairobi.
- To Manage directly or provide managerial services for consultancies, research, production and other Income generating Activities undertaken by Faculties, Departments, or other organs of the University of Nairobi.
- To coordinate the Income Generating Activities undertaken by the Faculties, Departments, or other organs of the University of Nairobi.
- To have, legal rights in and register patents in any inventions, innovations, utility or rationalization model or industrial designs discovered or otherwise emanating from research undertaken, funded, promoted, assisted, guided, facilitated or otherwise initiated by the Company, and to participate in the leasing, assigning, sale or transfer or such invention, innovation utility or rationalization models or industrial design or otherwise participate as is appropriate in all that appertains to the publication, recognition protection and application of such invention, innovation, utility or rationalization model or industrial design.
- To borrow, whether or bank overdraft or otherwise, or raise money in such manner as the Company shall think fit, and in particular, by issue of debentures, mortgages, or other securities, or otherwise and to secure the repayment of any money borrowed, raised, or owing by charge chattel mortgage, debenture, or lien upon the whose or any part of the Company’s property or undertaking.
- To enter into any arrangements with any government or authority, municipal or otherwise, or any corporations, companies, or personas having objects which may seem conducive to the benefit of the Company and to obtain from such governments or authorities such rights and privileges as may be to the benefits of the Company.
- To amalgamate with or enter into partnership or any joint adventure or profit-sharing arrangements or co-operation with any company, firm, or person engaged in carrying on or conducting of any business or enterprise from with the Company would or might derive any benefit, whether direct or indirect;
Currently, UNES offers:
- Engage in consultancy services that harnesses both the human and the physical resources of the University;
- Engage in commercial hospitality activities that primarily serves the University community and the public at large;
- Commercialization of idle/underutilized University assets with a view to enhancing financial support to the university through its operating surpluses and inculcating entrepreneurial and best business practices to the overall university;
- Engage in trade business lines that support the knowledge industry;
- Efficiently manage functions assigned by UoN; and
- Carry out any other commercial functions as may be directed by the Board.