UNES, registered as a private company limited by shares, operates within the provisions of the Companies Act (Chapter 486, Laws of Kenya). Its Articles and Memorandum of Association prescribe it as a distinct legal person, separate and independent from the University. The company was formed to, among other things:
- Harness the resources of the university with a view to enhancing the university’s teaching and research capabilities.
- Undertake consultancy, research, production and other income-generating activities and promote and facilitate such activities undertaken by departments and other units of the university.
- Provide managerial services for consultancy, research, production and other income-generating activities to the departments, faculties and other units of the university.
- Register patents of any inventions and innovations in which the company will have made a contribution.
- Promote, co-ordinate, and provide managerial services for income-generating activities within the university.